Audience Development Director
MJBizDaily, the cannabis industry’s most trusted publisher of business newsletters, magazines, data reports, podcasts and news services for professionals, is seeking an Audience Development Director to build our brand visibility, opt-in circulation, online readership and social engagement, as well as paid content sales.
The cannabis industry is booming. Help us maintain our position as the most-read media in it while reaching the thousands of new companies and professionals joining it each year.
This role reports directly to the VP Content & Audience Engagement, and works closely with a deep content team of professional journalists as well as coordinating with ad sales, graphic design and web development. You will also supervise our Social Media Manager (responsible for multiple feeds across Twitter, Insta, LinkedIn and FB), our Partnership Project Lead(responsible for partnership barters with 3rd party publications and events) and our (outsourced) media relations contractor.
We publish a wealth of original business news and analysis content about one of the most exciting industries in the world daily. Your role is to increase our audience, particularly in critical demographic niches and new markets; to convert qualified visitors into opt-ins, gathering their demographic data and ultimately converting as many as possible into buyers of our content products and leads for our event marketer who will to convert our audience to paid registrations at our trade shows.
Come prepared to roll up your sleeves. This is a hands-on role across nearly all forms of media – from social to print magazines – requiring buzz-building, opt-in conversion marketing, landing page creation, and form optimization. You will advance our audience marketing funnel strategy and measure success every step of the way by watching KPIs.
You will work with the web team to improve engagement, build better-converting pages and improve our forms and carts. In addition, you’ll review everything from content site navigation to newsletter templates with an eye on conversion, especially from mobile visitors.
Next, you will use multistep email campaigns, push notifications, social posts and more to turn qualified visitors to our web sites and social feeds into newsletter subscribers, product buyers and, most importantly, event ticket purchasers. These efforts will include A/B tests.
Lastly, you’ll work to flesh out our audience database, using content offers, surveys and other tactics to reduce “unknowns” and make sure we know as much as possible about demographics and interests for segmentation purposes.
- Drive audience awareness of our publications, podcasts and feeds
- Turn visitors and viewers into opt-ins and followers
- Produce direct sales of content
- Make data-driven decisions on ways to improve carts and forms
- Develop a deep understanding of what gets results from our audience
- Create and execute a strategy and end-to-end campaigns that convert anonymous users into engaged, buying customers
- Reduce the ratio of “unknown” users in our database
- Identify the messages, platforms and customer journeys that drive conversion to sales.
- Use metrics and cleanly defined KPIs to prove ROI
- Support event registration sales
- Aid the web and email dev team in mobile-first, UI-focused design practices
What you bring to the team:
- 7+ years’ experience as an audience development manager
- Hands-on expertise in social media and generating email newsletter opt-ins
- Data-driven mindset
- Ability to succeed in a in a fast-paced environment.
- Agile and flexible with regards to changing priorities and business needs and in working with diverse teams and people.
- Self-motivated, and high energy
- 3+ years of supervisory experience
- Strong team-orientation and collaborative approach to work
- Experience in media and/or events a significant plus
- SEO expertise a plus
- Experience in A/B testing emails and ecommerce pages
- Knowledge of UI and mobile-first design best practices
Depending on experience, the salary for this role is in the $85-110k per year range plus health insurance and 401k with company contribution. Anne Holland Ventures offers unlimited paid time off and opportunity for remote work.
Applicants must be US or Canadian residents. Preference may be given to Denver-area residents. Some US travel and possibly some travel outside the US may be required on occasion. Currently we are working virtually, however some in-person meetings in the Denver office may be required when the pandemic is over, and then office space will be available for any Denver-area staff requesting it.
As seen in the WSJ, Harvard Business Review and on NPR, MJBizDaily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc, a woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer which recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Our flexible hours and benefits support employees looking for a non-normative experience.