Brand & Show Marketing Director
Marijuana Business Daily (MJBizDaily), the largest and oldest producer of B2B news services and trade shows serving executives, entrepreneurs and major investors in the $14 billion cannabis and hemp industries, is seeking a Brand & Show Marketing Director. To apply, please see below.
This new fulltime position reports directly to the SVP Events. Initially the Director will have one direct report, a Partnerships Coordinator, to be joined in June by a Show Marketer. Also, they will coordinate closely with colleagues in other departments including the Audience Engagement & Conversion Marketer and the content, graphic design and web dev teams.
The Brand & Show Marketing Director will be responsible for all external marketing, brand awareness expansion, audience development and buzz-building to aggressively foster MJBizDaily and MJBizCon’s dominance as the most-trusted sources of cannabis business news and connections in the world. Plus, they will launch our new weekly podcast as must-listen brand for entrepreneurs seeking cannabusiness opportunities.
In addition, they will focus specifically on driving tens of thousands of paying attendees to MJBizCon, scheduled to be held mid-October in Las Vegas as well as online.
To achieve this, the Director will roll out multichannel advertising, content marketing and PR across all forms of media consumed by businesspeople, entrepreneurs and major investors. This includes social media, PPC ads, email, podcasts, partner emails, and more, many of which will be purchased on via partnership barters. To market the show and podcast, you will also work with our own branded magazine, web site, newsletters and social feeds. Lastly, you will be able to leverage our CEO for media tours, external speaking gigs and interviews.
The ideal candidate has strong event and buzz-building marketing chops and is eager to play a large role in the day-to-day execution of the strategy set forth in a highly fast-paced, rapidly growing industry.
- Builds and leads the execution of an annual multichannel event buzz-building and attendee marketing campaign, including (but not limited to) digital and print advertising, social media, and email
- Oversees the design of show branding assets, including the show website
- Writes copy for promotional materials that resonates with a professional B2B audience and builds buzz in the mainstream market
- Develops and manages an ongoing audience development strategy in conjunction with the Audience Engagement Marketer (residing in Editorial)
- Oversees negotiations of partnerships and media barters with other industry publications, associations and events
- Manages MJBizDaily’s presence at industry events to build brand awareness and drive attendee registrations
- Leads PR efforts throughout the year, including drafting & deploying show press releases, and managing the media relations consultant on-site at the show
- Tracks and reports on event-related KPIs to the leadership team
- Collaborates with the editorial team on integrated campaigns across the brands
- Direct management of two staffers
- 7+ years’ experience marketing tradeshows/conferences/events – building an event brand from launch to fandom preferred
- 3+ years’ experience managing a team
- Audience development experience for an online media brand strongly preferred
- Strong copywriting skills (samples required)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving, deadline-driven environment
- Exceptional communication skills and a willingness to work cross-departmentally to achieve shared goals, especially in a virtual environment
- Innovative and creative thinking to drive audience acquisition and funnel optimization
Depending on experience, the salary range for this role is $95-110k plus healthcare, vacation and 401k.
Applicants must be US residents. Some preference may be given to Denver-area residents. Some US travel and possibly some travel outside the US may be required on occasion. Currently we are working virtually, however some in-person meetings in the Denver office may be required when the pandemic is over, and then, office space will be available for any Denver-area staff requesting it.
As seen in the WSJ, Harvard Business Review and on NPR, MJBizDaily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc, a woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer which recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Our flexible hours and benefits support employees looking for a non-normative experience.