Web Development Lead: MJBizDaily (Remote OK)
MJBizDaily, the award-winning business news site for cannabis industry professionals, with more than six million unique visitors per year enjoying its daily stories, is seeking a Web Development Lead to manage our small in-house team of three (including yourself.) This position reports directly to our head of IT and is responsible for several high-profile, WordPress, web sites including MJBizDaily, Hemp Industry Daily and MJBizCon.
Our headquarters are in Lakewood CO, however this full-time position can be remote if desired. It is open to residents of the US and Canada excluding the states of California, Louisiana and New York. Required ‘office hours’ for any meetings are 10am-3pm MT, Tuesday-Friday, with a 40-hour week workload assumed. This role includes full benefits such as healthcare, 401k and a flexible vacation plan.
Along managing the day-to-day operations of the Web Development team and this role is first to assist in more complex and/or coding heavy projects and issues.
Overall, you would be responsible for managing your team’s morale, goals, deliverables and tickets as well as supervising team member assignments and tracking their progress; working with the Content and Events departments to plan and implement site changes; maintaining website code for multiple sites using versioning software (Git/Beanstalk); and, managing / applying coding updates to news web sites with heavy traffic. Responsibilities will include:
- Manage your small team and occasional external contractors to ensure quality and consistency of deliverables
- Work with front-end and graphic designers to apply suggested UI/UX changes to current sites
- Contribute code and tests
- Troubleshoot, monitor and support all websites in live production, including updating change requests, fixes and errors to site coding in timely manner
- Seek opportunities to enhance the stability, performance, maintainability, mobile-friendliness, SEO and extensibility of all websites
- Establish best practices for team management, host ongoing team status meetings
- Work with team to establish website usability learning materials for company users
- Provide IT support where necessary to maintain website uptime and stability
- Improve web team productivity, culture and product quality
Job requirements include:
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of developers
- WordPress coding, theming, skinning experience
- Experience with web design / development lifecycle
- Knowledge of SEO and a/b testing
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Strong client service skills
- Driven and able to take in new functionality projects
- Experience selecting and recommending plug-ins and software
- Must be able to juggle a workload that fluctuates in response to in house troubleshooting and expansion demands
In addition, preference will be give to candidates with:
- UI / front-end design experience
- Experience working in LAMP hosting environments
- Technical / coding certifications a plus
- Willingness to learn and apply new technologies and methodologies
- Experience with Agile Project Management with multiple team members
- Able to multitask and work with multiple department heads on projects
- IT, high traffic web hosting management and SQL database knowledge
- Heavy content site experience – news media preferred
Depending on experience, the salary range for this role is $100-120k plus healthcare, flexible vacation and 401k.
As seen in the WSJ, Harvard Business Review and on NPR, MJBizDaily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc, a woman-owned company based in Lakewood, CO. We are an equal opportunity employer which recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Our flexible hours and benefits support employees looking for a non-normative experience.